Author Archives:

Jonathan Namovic-Final Project

I decided to build off my patch from project 1 and continue on my journey of sound synthesis and instrument creation. I cleaned up the patch and made a presentation view for easier interaction and I added three new instruments. The first is a take on FM synthesis and clipping effects that resulted in a harmonized growling sound. For the second instrument, I took the same clipping effect and applied it to a long resonance filter over a click to create a kind of rounded square wave. For the last instrument I took the resonant click and filtered it in a new way to create a sound similar to a church organ.

Here is a sample loop I created using the new instruments and the drums from my old patch.

and here is the code

Main Patch:

Instruments from patch 1

Drum Patch:

basic notes:

New Instruments


Square Wave:

church organ:

Jonathan Namovic Project 1- Launch Pad

For my project 1 I decided to try and make an instrument out of my computer. I separated out the keys into distinct regions and assigned them midi values based on where they were on the keyboard. I then used these note values in different modes to produce different sounds. I also included a boomerang effect that allows the user to record a short piece of audio and then the patch loops it and repeatedly plays it. I created ten drum sound effects by filtering noise in different ways. The main instrument portion is a square wave filtered in a similar way to make the note sound less harsh. The last mode is a saw tooth tremolo that repeated plays the same not so long as it is held. The launch pad is polyphonic and can export the sound in the loop buffer.

A short example piece that has been layered three times

main patch code:

note maker code:

drum patch code:

saw tooth tremolo code:

Assignment 4- Jonathan Namovic

For assignment 4 I took the piece “Pa Pa Papageno” from the opera The Magic Flute and separated the frequencies using a PFFT so that all frequencies within the human vocal range were allocated to one matrix and all other frequencies were allocated to another matrix.  I took these two matrices and used an altered version of the patch from class to create two groups of shapes, green polyhedrons and red cubes. The red cubes fluctuate in size with the orchestra, and the green polyhedrons fluctuate with the opera singers.

Proposal 1-Jonathan Namovic

For project 1 I would like to combine the things we learned in the past units in order to make a homemade effects launch pad. It will use impulse signals to generate different tones and noises and filter or convolve them to create different effects. I would also include a time-shifting component allowing users to create loops and then play over them as a sort of controlled infinite feedback.  The pad will also have a basic record function so people can export the music they create.

Assignment 3-Jonathan Namovic

I decided to base my project around my trip to 18-090 from my first class in Wean. The signal I chose to convolve is a sound clip of me running with a backpack on.

Me runnining

I took my two real world impulse recordings from the entrance to Baker Hall and my classroom in Wean.

Wean Classroom

Running in Wean

Baker Hall Entrance

Running in Baker


I then decided to use a snippet from a song called “Prom Night” by Anamanaguchi for its airy sound to emulate  the sound of running in a dream.

Snippet from “Prom Night”

Running in a dream

I tried to use the sound of a toilet flush as my last sound to create the sound of running in a cave but it ended up sounding more stuffy than originally planned so I decided to call the last convolution Running in a Nightmare.

Toilet Flush

Running in a Nightmare

For recording, I used the convolution patch we studied in class with an sfrecord~ object to capture the audio.

Assignment 2 – Jonathan Namovic

This patch is four different time shifting filters. The first creates negative echoes that trail behind any movement resembling ghosts. The second takes these echoes and rotates them constantly to create a kaleidoscope effect around the center of the video feed. The third filter creates a spiral effect that trails off in to the center of the image. The last filter flips every other frame, resulting in all the positive colored frames and all the negative colored frames aligning. These effects were created by rotating the feedback to varying degrees and subtracting the feedback from the original video feed.

The results of the varying effects.

Assignment 1- Jonathan Namovic

I decided to use the built in photo editor in Android messenger as my found system. I started with a close up photo of my friend Miles and I repeatedly put it through the editor.  The photo editor has multiple simplistic sliders such as contrast,shadows, and sharpness. In order to keep each individual jump relatively small, I turned each of these sliders only halfway up. The entire process took 45 iterations to reach the final picture.

The sharpness slider definitely had the most impact on the picture overall as its attempt to remove “blurriness” often resulted in the colors blending later on in the sequence. It is also interesting to see how the sliders changed as the photo changed. Towards the end of the process, the shadow slider which usually makes the darkness in the photo much more prominent, actually enunciated the whites in the photo.