Assignment 3 : Listen

In his documentary Bowling for Columbine (2002), Michael Moore asks Marilyn Manson, “If you were to talk directly to the kids at Columbine and the people in that community, what would you say to them if they were here right now?” The musician, having been falsely accused of influencing the perpetrators of the Columbine High School Massacre in 1999, responds, “I wouldn’t say a single word to them; I would listen to what they have to say. And that’s what no one did.”
Here is an excerpt from the documentary :

Using a fragment from one of my favorite interviews of Marilyn Manson as the original audio signal (3:40 – 3:46), I explored the ideas of “hearing” and “listening,” considering the latter as making a conscious effort to understand what is being heard.
A variety of impulse responses were used to convolve the original signal, yet the statement became barely comprehensible each time, preventing me from the act of “listening.”
The idea that we may be “hearing,” but perhaps not “listening,” or consciously digesting what we are given with, is one to cogitate on.
IR recordings + the original signal convolved through them :
#1) from a produce near a sink

#2) from a hallway

#3) from a practice room

#4) from a produce in a kitchen