Blog 5

For this Looking Outward blog I came across Nikola Damjanov’s “Protist Florist A01”, which is a surrealistic 3D object that resembles an alien flower/mushroom that has bloomed. In fact, the Nikola was inspired by “microfossils and radiolaria”The actual result was 3D printed but in the digital model, it is rendered and colored, showcasing its intricacy and strangeness. In this project, I really enjoy the use of patterns, while creating something very odd and irregular. I also really like how robust and bold the final result is, while contrasted with the delicate nature and attention involved to create it. It reminds me of the flora in Avatar, a movie that I am fascinated with. The process of making this was a combination of AI and Digital modeling, using very powerful machines that could get into all the fine details. More specifically, it used a “ NVIDIA Quadro RTX 6000 GPU”. While it is generative and there are endless possibilities, he creates sets of rules to create a cohesiveness between each iteration so the process is more controlled by him.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zDGLzm