Looking Outwards-09

One project I found when looking at all the amazing female computer artists was called “Another Moon” by Mimi Son. This was in development since 2015 as an outdoor art exhibition with lasers, code, solar panels, and other elements. It creates “a technically sublime second moon in the sky.” It was made using scanning mirror laser projectors, which were protected from weather during the day as it gained energy from the solar panels to be released through the laser into the sky again at night. I admire this work because it’s very energy efficient while also spectacularly beautiful to behold – I think the use of the lasers is innovative and breathtaking, and I appreciate the thought and care that went into it. The artist, Mimi Son, is the founder of the Seoul-based art studio called Kimchi and Chips, which this exhibition was also a part of. She has a special interest in geometry and Buddhist philosophy, which allows her to use space and time to form various perspectives. Her area of expertise is Conceptualization & Interaction Design, which she studied at the Landsdown Center of Middlesex University in London. She’s also been a teacher of Interactive Storytelling in Korea for six years.

Watch “Another Moon” here.

Read about “Another Moon” here.