Project Objectives Lunch Time for the Puppy is an interactive children’s fabric book. The book is made from felt and other fabric material with different textures, and is embedded with soft sensors and electronic output elements for creating a rich storytelling experience. We produced a proof of concept prototype of the design by making one
Continue reading Lunch time for the puppy — an interactive fabric book.
Project Objectives: grubo is a set of soft pneumatic actuators compatible with the Lego Technic system. The kit consists of expandable silicone air chambers, Lego-compatible connector pieces, and tubing and syringes to inflate the air chambers. Using the grubo pieces, builders can expand the functionality of their Lego creations with soft pneumatic actuation. Creative Design
Continue reading grubo: a modular pneumatics set compatible with Legos
Demo of a page in a puppy-themed interactive fabric book We used the Multi-Touch Kit Software Toolkit and attached it to the back of the left ear of the puppy. The only other digital intput is a fabric button hidden underneath the puppy’s belly. For outputs, we combined visual, audio, and haptic feedbacks using LEDs,
Continue reading 5/5 Catherine&Yanwen Final Critique
Control vs. Lined Experiments circle: “pie” single cup fold: multiple cupping folds: circle control: “spork” lined spoon: short spoon control: winged spoon: control winged spoon: spoon: control spoon: rectangles: Factors affecting repeatability: Corners: I noticed that the cuts at the intersection of the oval and the rectangle sometimes had slits just by error of hand-cutting.
Continue reading 5/5 Dorcas Sophie Ray
On the technical side: We programmed the microcontrollers, and our setup involves two Arduinos: One is connected to the multi-touch grid. This arduino is controlled by a processing sketch and sends signals to the other arduino for outputs other than sounds. One is connected to all other input&output components: neopixel LEDs, vibration motors, and fabric
Continue reading 5/3 Catherine&Yanwen Updates
Final Spoon Folds and Forms This week we finalized the folds we are including in our final report and are doing one more lab with the printed shrinky dink paper to make sure the folds are replicable. We plan on finishing up photos and design language system graphics for the final this week. Below are
Continue reading 5/3 Dorcas Sophie Ray
This week we worked on iterations of the bistable connectors and the inflatable parts. We produced successful prototypes of both. Inflatables Given the holes resulting from bubbles in our last attempt at casting silicone inflatables, we worked on a redesigned mold. This new mold added a Lego-compatible connector and reoriented the molds to create a
Continue reading Elena and Sebastian 5-03 Update
We have developed our own working API with the following events: We ran into some troubles when trying to detect sliding behavior, partly because of the grid is actually low resolution, and it cannot slide from touching multiple positions at the same time. Thus we decided to put sliding apart and use the other interactions.
Continue reading 4/26 Catherine & Yanwen Updates
This weekend we focused on casting in paraffin wax and in silicone, and created successful casts for both. Silicone We cast a prototype for the bistable connection. The cast came out nicely, but we still need to test it with the plastic nozzle to make sure it works properly. If it doesn’t we’ll need to
Continue reading Elena and Sebastian 4/26 Update
Following the suggestions on mapping out possible user behaviors towards the touch pad and designing states and unpredictability for the setup, we started to write down the categories in a Google sheet: While waiting for the components to be ready for pickup, we will continue on finishing and refining these listed interactions and outputs before
Continue reading 4/21 Catherine & Yanwen Updates