Project Objectives Lunch Time for the Puppy is an interactive children’s fabric book. The book is made from felt and other fabric material with different textures, and is embedded with soft sensors and electronic output elements for creating a rich storytelling experience. We produced a proof of concept prototype of the design by making one
Continue reading Lunch time for the puppy — an interactive fabric book.
Project Objectives: grubo is a set of soft pneumatic actuators compatible with the Lego Technic system. The kit consists of expandable silicone air chambers, Lego-compatible connector pieces, and tubing and syringes to inflate the air chambers. Using the grubo pieces, builders can expand the functionality of their Lego creations with soft pneumatic actuation. Creative Design
Continue reading grubo: a modular pneumatics set compatible with Legos
Demo of a page in a puppy-themed interactive fabric book We used the Multi-Touch Kit Software Toolkit and attached it to the back of the left ear of the puppy. The only other digital intput is a fabric button hidden underneath the puppy’s belly. For outputs, we combined visual, audio, and haptic feedbacks using LEDs,
Continue reading 5/5 Catherine&Yanwen Final Critique
Control vs. Lined Experiments circle: “pie” single cup fold: multiple cupping folds: circle control: “spork” lined spoon: short spoon control: winged spoon: control winged spoon: spoon: control spoon: rectangles: Factors affecting repeatability: Corners: I noticed that the cuts at the intersection of the oval and the rectangle sometimes had slits just by error of hand-cutting.
Continue reading 5/5 Dorcas Sophie Ray
Final Spoon Folds and Forms This week we finalized the folds we are including in our final report and are doing one more lab with the printed shrinky dink paper to make sure the folds are replicable. We plan on finishing up photos and design language system graphics for the final this week. Below are
Continue reading 5/3 Dorcas Sophie Ray
This week we worked on iterations of the bistable connectors and the inflatable parts. We produced successful prototypes of both. Inflatables Given the holes resulting from bubbles in our last attempt at casting silicone inflatables, we worked on a redesigned mold. This new mold added a Lego-compatible connector and reoriented the molds to create a
Continue reading Elena and Sebastian 5-03 Update
This weekend we focused on casting in paraffin wax and in silicone, and created successful casts for both. Silicone We cast a prototype for the bistable connection. The cast came out nicely, but we still need to test it with the plastic nozzle to make sure it works properly. If it doesn’t we’ll need to
Continue reading Elena and Sebastian 4/26 Update
Why: Taking one look at this project, one might immediately think “more plastic utensils?” but the reason we decided to focus on utensils isn’t because of the materiality of polystyrene rather for the unique forms it can morph into under heat. We find potential in the application of low-touch, heat-activated morphing in the medical field
Continue reading 4/21 Dorcas Sophie Ray
This week, Yanwen rewired her sensor grid and put it on a different surface(cutting board to desk surface) and the reading becomes much clearer. Both the single and multi-touch detections became much more reliable, so we think that we have a sensor grid fabrication method that we can reliably test on now. We tried adding
Continue reading 4/19 Catherine & Yanwen Updates
Weekend Update: We continue creating a system of folds for our final set of utensils New Research: Precedent of organizing/naming curved origami from “British Origami Society” Iterating on the spoon design: Ray used some thick tin foil to test the fold design. Thick tin foil bends more similarly to the shink paper compared to paper.
Continue reading 4/19 Dorcas Sophie Ray