Singing toilet but make it less obvious

As Jet briefly mentioned in class, in some countries including Korea/Japan, the “singing toilets” can be commonly found. Even the toilet at my house not only plays music but also it has a speaker and a microphone that connects to the doorbell, so you can answer someone outside the door while you are using the toilet.

I wondered, why does it play music? why not just a sound? Is it also a way to show the luxury of listening to classical music even while you do your business? I asked around many people, but I couldn’t really get an answer. Therefore, I called the interior consultant who installed this at my home.

He says it is more of a cultural thing. Not only the calm music lets you concentrate better on your business, but basically, for the toilets that are located in a shared area such as a public bathroom/my parent’s room, it is considered “rude” to let others hear the sound that your stuff makes. Therefore, there’s music to stealth the sound so that you don’t feel embarrassed. It is not always music, too; for example, the Incheon airport toilets have buttons next to them that you press when you use the toilet, and it makes a flush sound — no, it doesn’t flush the toilet, it only makes a flushing sound (you flush your toilet after pressing the flush sound button.

Therefore, I wondered again. While I use the microphone in the bathroom, classical music doesn’t stop. However, everyone in this building has the same toilet installed, so I was always afraid that the delivery guys can hear the music while I talk. The fact that the music doesn’t stop while talking on the microphone is defeating the whole purpose of that music.

So I designed a singing toilet module that fulfills all of the purposes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pMVpjTm3tO2JzSIfYPkowj36UpNh8F3g/view?usp=sharing

It plays the intro of “Spring” by Vivaldi. (this is where my musical talent came in handy) The full jingle can be played here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cWwLkompyNM6D4IXzH8UUfemVE9Hp2lo/view?usp=sharing

From the left: speaker, photocell resistor, button, and a blue LED
While the photocell is blocked (the equivalent of someone sitting on the toilet) the music plays and the blue LED comes on.
Someone presses the doorbell at the door! The music pauses, and the LED turns off as well to alert the person that it is paused.

+

What’s up with the LED? Why is it necessary?

• According to the interior design consultant, he says that so that the “visual” bothers the person less.

Author: kyungsec@andrew.cmu.edu

Junior in Art, trying to minor in physical computing.