Argos Games has been hard at work on a prototype for this week’s presentation. The majority of our advancements have been on the development front, with minor advancements in audio and design assets.
In terms of development advancements, we’ve accomplished:
- Smooth 360° motion for all players (PC and VR)
- Rabbits can pickup carrots and gain points for bringing them outside the farm’s perimeter
- Farmers can catch rabbits with a net, causing them to respawn after a set interval
This is great news, because these are the core mechanics necessary to conduct user testing. Now that we have basic gameplay working, we can test multiple simultaneous PC users, as well as the comfort / ease of use of the VR player net interactions.
We’re going to spend the next few weeks (including spring break) further testing and implementing art and sound assets. For now, though, our game developers have made impressive strides towards creating what we think is a well designed game concept. We’ll set up user tests on Wednesdays to hopefully confirm our intuitions, and if not, at least collect valuable insights from novice players.
In terms of specific goals for the next prototype, each sub-team has outlined specific milestones.
- Add animations to every character
- Create 3D vegetable models
- Work with Unity lighting
- Develop visual style and shaders
- Rabbit pick up carrot + drop into scoring zone = Score
- VR player net the rabbit, rabbit freezes and respawns in 5 seconds
- Rabbit able to press “F” to hide/come out of burrows
- Basic UI
- Synchronizing everything! (Movement, Pick up, burrow hiding, net mechanics)
- Networking between farmer and multiple rabbits
- Adjusted rabbit movement speed
- Highlighting of objects (when rabbit player looks at it)
- Created main menu soundtrack, kinda farmer like
- Banjo, flute, clarinet, guitar
- Some edited sound effects are in assets folder
- Documentation (instruments, key & time signature, direction) written for two in-game bgm tracks and a pause menu track
We’re excited to demo this game and continue developing!