Categories
Independent Project

Independent Project Final Post – Susan

Visual Portfolio, Posts & Image Gallery for WordPress

Reflection

I created this dress with the intent to symbolize my younger self, who wore dresses often and would always be in peace and innocence without any stress from the ‘real-world’. A time when there were no worries, no crises, no COVID-19. I have always wanted to make a piece of clothing, specifically a dress, a pretty yet simple dress.

Yellow is a color which represents life and energy to me representing one’s youth. While working on the dress, I added prettier ribbons to accessorize the dress. One ribbon has Chanel labelled all over, and the other a bakery called Gaby et Jules, and to me these show how sometimes a brand is so powerful sticking a brand name to garment increases the value of the clothing a lot (in my case, just for fun). The red ribbon makes the overall dress more child-like.

I learned a lot making this dress, using a sewing machine, hand-sewing, figuring out straps and also straps. I hand-sewn the ribbons on, including the center popping-out pearl piece. The ruffles were a bit difficult as a line of yarn is supposed to be removed and the ruffles on the linen cloth is supposed to stay. But in my case, I had the ruffles added plucking a thread of yarn one by one to keep the ruffles and then machine-sewing them on. The back of the dress has shown stitches and also a more adjustable strap which I am also really proud of.

Overall, I learned a lot from creating my first piece of clothing. And I am impressed how pretty it looks, next time I will make it so it is comfortable and easy to wear and take-off (such as adding stretchier material), and iron it before displaying. Thank you!