Categories
Gallery Independent Project

Independent Project Proposal – Heeyun

concept

Having lived in Chile for most of my life and then moving to Pittsburgh for college, I have always felt a sort of distance and estrangement from Korean culture. My parents have always made huge efforts to teach my brother and me Korean and about Korean culture, traditions, history, etc., but there is still so much that I don’t even know that I don’t know…

Prior to taking this class, I had seen bojagi before but never knew what it was called, what it was used for, its history. But upon learning more about this familiar-looking piece of Korean culture, I became more interested in it. For my final project, I want to explore the craft of making bojagi and make some designs that tie in my bonds and memories with my family together through bojagi.

My preliminary idea for my project is multiple hanging sheets of bojagi. Bojagi reminds me of stained glass windows, so I’m considering taking the idea of how stained glass windows historically have been used for storytelling and implementing it to my bojagi sheets in the form of my memories of and bonds to my family and Korean culture. I’m currently also considering including some embroidery onto the sheets.

Visual Portfolio, Posts & Image Gallery for WordPress

materials

• ramie fabric
  • sewing thread & needles
  • sewing machine (?)
  • embroidery thread & needles
  • embroidery machine (?)

timeline

Tue. 11/23 – Sat. 11/27

• further develop ideas for form, shape, colors
  • explore & experiment with techniques
  • finalize designs
  • gather materials

Sun. 11/28 – Fri. 12/03

• assemble bojagi sheet(s)

Sat. 12/04 – Tue. 12/07

• explore computerized/hand embroidery

Wed. 12/08

• final touches