From where I left off last time, I started by trying to make the spinning/vertical motion mechanism:

Next, I added strips of fabric to the dangly centerpiece which resulted in a form like this:

I ended up not installing the piece in the stairwell since I ran into several issues and didn’t have too much time to solve them. Instead I installed the piece in a bookshelf. This makes the mechanisms are a bit out of reach unfortunately so I had to use a stool to reach them.

The piece rotates sometimes by itself. Next I removed some of the strips of fabric since it appeared a bit dense. The mechanism is not very refined and is a bit hard to control since the gears do not really stay in place very well. This was the final effect:

An additional interesting effect I saw that is not really shown in the previous videos was the static charge on the fibers of the silk I used:

Overall I don’t think I really achieved the effect I was originally going for, and the mechanism is not very robust/effective. I got to observe some interesting elements/effects though and learned a lot about challenges in the design process.