Assignment 8

I find it interesting that many old sound effects don’t even apply today. For example, some of the old computer sound effects are no longer relevant today. Another point to note related to film sound effects is that because of the mass use of certain sound effects in the film industry, we relate certain sounds with certain events when in fact these events don’t actually make these sounds in real life. For example, fruit cutting always has sounds in movies but we don’t really hear that in real life, but we can easily recognize these sounds. And for special effects sounds that I’ve never actually heard, I actually never question them and just remember it and make new association. Now that I’m thinking about it, I am not sure if that is a good thing…

I think many sounds carry emotions. When I hear someone scream, I get agitated. When I hear nails scratching a blackboard, I get disturbed. When I hear sound of the waves, I feel peaceful.

Author: tianhony@andrew.cmu.edu

Hi, I'm Catherine Yu. I'm a senior studying Computer Science with a minor in physical computing. I'm super excited to learn from all of you!