Due at noon on Thursday 8/30
Your homework for Thursday has two parts:
1) (~45 mins.) Please read Rose Eisma, et al. “Mutual inspiration in the development of new technology for older people.” Proceedings of Include. Vol. 7. 2003. A copy of the PDF is in “Files” in Canvas, and it’s also available online here: http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~stephen/research/utopia/papers/2003_include_general/paper.pdf
Use Canvas to submit a response to the following prompt in a paragraph or two.
Eisma et al. discuss ways of building rapport between elderly people who aren’t so familiar with technology and younger researchers who are. We will be having exactly this sort of conversation with a group of people in a matter of weeks. Distill and share a few “best practices,” based on your own intuition/experience as well as what you learned in the article, which the class should keep in mind as we’re preparing to meet with our older design clients for the first time.
2) (~20 mins.) Find an example of an Arduino-based project that’s surprising, intriguing, or otherwise interesting to you. Make a small WordPress post on the class site (https://courses.ideate.cmu.edu/60-223/f2018/work), including the following sections:
- the title of the project
- the creator of the project
- a short description of the project, including some media (a couple embedded pictures, an embedded video, etc.) to help the reader get a better sense of it
- a brief (few sentences) response of your own, including your thoughts on the project, how you might improve/change it, and why you think it’s interesting/intriguing/surprising/terrible/great.
In WordPress mark your post with the “Homework 1” category.
I made a sample post here which you can use as a rough template: https://courses.ideate.cmu.edu/60-223/f2018/work/tide-tank-project/
There are about twenty gazillion Arduino projects out there in the world, but if you’re somehow having trouble finding them, here’s the entire category in Instructables: http://www.instructables.com/technology/arduino/, and here’s the forum on the main Arduino site where people share their projects: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub.
Questions? Let me know!