Due at 10pm on Wednesday, Sep. 19th
Laura Poskin, MPSG, is a local gerontologist who will be our guest in Class 8 (Thursday, Sep. 20th).
To help prepare for our conversation with Ms. Poskin:
1) Read this Public Source feature about older people living in Allegheny County: https://www.publicsource.org/how-seniors-in-allegheny-county-combat-social-isolation/
2) Also read this editorial piece about the struggles some people face in parts of our city that Ms. Poskin recently wrote: https://www.nextavenue.org/big-city-becoming-age-friendly/
3) Flip through the Age-Friendly Greater Pittsburgh Action Plan 2017–2020 https://www.swppa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/AgeFriendlyPGH_ActionPlan.pdf. You do not need to read this document cover to cover, but be sure to read pp. 35–37, which are especially relevant to our work in this class.
4) Once you’ve read the above background, use this Canvas assignment to submit at least two brief questions you are interested in asking Ms. Poskin, addressing:
- her own professional journey into the world of gerontology, or
- otherwise pertaining to her professional practice, or
- the state of the aging population in Allegheny County, or
- any other relevant matter you’d like to learn about from her.