Due at 9:05am on Thursday, September 1st

1. Read the syllabus

10 points

The syllabus captures lots of important information. Please read the whole thing from head to toe before our Thursday class so that we’re all on the same page. A link to the webpage version of the syllabus is available under the “reference” header on the left navigation bar; if you prefer a PDF (which makes for slightly prettier reading), that’s available here.

I’ll give a little oral quiz at the start of class Thursday on some points addressed in the syllabus. I’m going to call on people at random. If I get the sense that people haven’t read it, we’ll need to use class time Thursday to go over policy stuff, which I’d love not to have to do. So: please read all of it carefully.

2. Prepare to share a past project from this class

5 points

This is the tenth semester that I’ve been teaching this class, so there are nine semesters’ worth of prior student work to check out to get a sense of the sorts of projects people have made.

Please take a look at some (or all, if you’re feeling motivated/bored) of the prior semesters’ student work, and find a particular Project 2: Assistive Device for Yourself or Final Project: Assistive Device for a Client that you’d like to share with the class. Find one that’s especially interesting, effective, surprising, intriguing, or for any reason you’re drawn to. (Not sure where to look for prior semesters’ pages? In the navigation column on the left ← click on “Previous Semesters.”)

In class on Thursday, we’ll go around the room and you’ll have ~30 seconds to talk about that project and why you wanted to share it. Your job isn’t to advocate for it per se—just introduce it to the room and then we can briefly discuss it.

You don’t need to submit anything for this; just be prepared to identify your project of interest when I call on you on Thursday.

3. Complete some asynchronous learning on the Arduino board and electronics

15 points

Please complete some asynchronous learning via Canvas modules, called “Arduino Board” and “Electronics.” In total, there are four videos in the “Arduino Board” section to watch, plus one optional one; there are six videos in the “Electronics” section I’d like you to watch for Thursday. All of these together sum to about an hour and a half of lectures. Feel free to speed them up or slow them down as you’re watching them.

The first series of lectures will talk about the physical Arduino board, and many of its features.

The second series of lectures cover some important elementary ideas behind electronics, including how we can draw schematics to represent circuits and some pencil-and-paper exercises for building up an intuition about electrical flow in a circuit. (Starting on Thursday, we’ll learn how to put these ideas into action, but for now, it’s just going to be some stage-setting theory.)

As you’re watching, take notes and be sure to actually try to figure things out as I ask you to in the videos! If you just sit and watch as drool comes out of the corner of your mouth, odds are you’re not going to emerge from the 90 minutes of video much wiser.

4. Post a question from the asynchronous videos

5 points

Please post at least one question to the Asynchronous homework questions forum on Canvas—and more than one question is fine, too. If you truly have no questions at all as you complete the asynchronous video sequence, then make a good question up—one you imagine a classmate might ask—and post that.