We have purchased four Sony a6000 cameras for use in the course. These have many features, so the following notes may help you configure it for your needs.
We have a copy of the full manuals on the Manuals and Datasheets page for a detailed reference on the specific camera. Please see Suzie’s slides for a discussion of photography.
The following lists are not comprehensive. Here is an article detailing many more a6000 settings. Here is an in-depth tutorial.
Garth’s Preferred Setup
Here is a list of all settings I touched starting from a new out-of-the-box configuration:
|Camera menu/1/File Format||XAVC S for highest quality video|
|Camera menu/2/Record Setting||30p 50M or other 50Mbit setting for highest quality video|
|Gear menu/3/Pre-AF||On: continuously adjust focus; Off: only focus when shutter is halfway depressed|
|Gear menu/3/Peaking Level||High to enable focus indicator lines|
|Gear menu/3/Peaking Color||Yellow for more visible focus indicator lines|
|Gear menu/3/Release w/o lens||Enable to use Rokinon 12mm|
|WiFi menu/1/Airplane Mode||On to disable WiFi|
|Toolbox menu/1/Audio signals||Off to disable beeping sounds|
|Toolbox menu/3/Remote Ctrl||leave Off; this is for the RMT-0 Wireless Remote|
|Toolbox menu/3/HDMI Resolution||1080i works with the Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini|
|Toolbox menu/3/CTRL for HDMI||leave Off; this is for using a Bravia TV remote control|
|Toolbox menu/3/HDMI Info. Display||Off for clean HDMI output (the camera LCD will show the menus instead)|
|Toolbox menu/4/Date/Time Setup||set to local time|
|Toolbox menu/4/Area Setting||set time zone|
|Toolbox menu/5/Format||to prepare a new SD card with a Sony database|
- The camera needs to create a Sony database file on the SD card if the card hasn’t been used before in a Sony camera.
- Each camera comes with a 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 lens.
- We also have one Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 wide-angle all-manual prime lens: no autofocus, no aperture control.
- We also have one Sony 50mm f/1.8 telephoto prime lens. This can be fully automatic and has image stabilization.
Blackmagic Ultra Mini Recorder Setup
These are small interfaces for importing HDMI video via Thunderbolt into a computer. We will use these for high-quality ProRes video capture using a clean HDMI output from the camera.
Be sure to run the Blackmagic Desktop Video Utility.app and
- set the input to HDMI instead of the default SDI.
- leave 1080PsF On (Progressive Segmented Frame)
- set the camera to 1080i (see previous section)
Camera Kit Checklist
The cameras have been kitted into a box comprising a complete workstation. Please take a complete inventory whenever you check out a camera to verify nothing is missing, otherwise you may be charged for a deficiency.
- Ruggard Streak 25 Camera Case
- Sony A6000 Camera with installed SELP1650 Lens
- Sony NP-FW50 Battery
- Extreme Pro, 64GB, SD Card
- Lens Cover, Front of Lens
- Lens Cover, Back of Lens
- Camera Body Cover
- Camera Battery Charger with attached cable
- Blackmagic Design, UltraStudio Mini Recorder
- Thunderbolt Cable, Apple, 1.6ft, white
- HDMI Cable, 15ft, braided cover
- HDMI F to HDMI Micro M adapter
- 1TB External Hard Drive, USB 3.0, 7200 RPM
- USB 3.0 cable for external hard drive
- coming soon: AC-PW20 camera power supply