Categories
Tapestry Weavings

Final Weaving Reflection – Lea

Process

Rather than having a specific image in mind that I wanted to create, I let the tools, fabric, and mood determine where my piece will go for the beginning of the weaving. I thought that if I had a goal in mind, it would restrict the creative process too much. I wouldn’t be able to discover new techniques or interesting combinations. I also didn’t want to force my weaving into something that I wasn’t sure if I’m technically able to do yet. Since this is my first weaving, I wanted to learn about what different techniques would look like and potentially use them in another project. 

I particularly like the look of having warps showing rather than hiding it. I wanted to learn more about ways that I can let the warps coexist in harmony with the weft. 

After the exploration phase, I wanted to do something more regular and pattern-based. The beginning of the weaving looked very abstract and that represents the more creative side of me. The checker pattern represents the part of me that is very organized. I see myself as someone who needs routine and a plan or else I’ll be too stressed. 

What worked well

The checker pattern worked better than expected. I liked how it is also reversible: the back shows the same pattern in a different sequences. I also tried color combinations that I wouldn’t have thought would go well with each other such as blue and pink. The color contrasted each other nicely and I was pleasantly surprised. I also enjoyed how the pattern is still visible even when I only used one color (yellow). The pattern created 3 different types of texture although I only used 2 techniques. 

What I would improve

I want to be better at controlling the sides of the weaving. Some parts of the weaving were wide and some parts were tight. I was trying to make the width consistent throughout, but I was having difficulties with that. 

I originally had very muted colors in the weaving. I didn’t think it contrasted with each other or the warp well. After adding bolder colors, I feel like the weaving was more “powerful.” It stood out much better than before. 

What I learned through this project

1. Don’t be afraid to use vibrant colors together. It could actually be complementary and make both colors stand out.
  2. Even if you’re only using one color, other elements can also make the piece interesting. 
  3. I enjoy doing things more experimental at first and learning the techniques. 
  4. Things may not turn out exactly as how you imagined, but you still might get something cool or at least learned a technique.

Five Directions 

1. I could use the same pickup stick technique throughout the weaving in order to create long rectangular stripes rather than checkers. 
  2. I could try bold colors for experimental and muted colors for the pattern.
  3. I could braid the rya knots together so that they are not just dangling threads. This would also make it less chaotic. 
  4. I could make the contrast between regular and chaotic vertical instead of horizontal. (Left and right rather than top-down) 
  5. I could use varying lengths for each section of the pattern. (Instead of square shapes, maybe long rectangles with short rectangles.