The first thing I tasked myself with was finding a location for my project so I could develop my ideas into site specific pieces. I found this cuby area on the 3rd floor of Hunt Library that include elements such as a counter, pencil sharpener, storage area, etc. I chose this location because it had a variety of elements at different depths and heights.

Last time I had decided that I wanted to utilize parts that created motion in multiple directions (vertical, horizontal, or rotational). I furthered this concept by creating two main pieces that utilized multiple directions of motion.

The first piece utilized rotational and vertical motion to lift a piece of cloth off the counter. A user would rotate the pencil sharpener, which would in turn pull the string, lifting the cloth. The concept of this piece is to hide the complex inner workings of the piece below it, with the ability to reveal the inner workings if wanted.

The second piece utilizes rotational and vertical motion to bounce a collection of fabrics. A user would use the handle on one of the gears to rotate it, creating a cascade effect that rotates a series of other gears, leading to the two ends of the cloth structure to bounce up and down. The concept of this piece is to show how one action can cause a series of motions and to show how a collection of fabrics can flow in a bouncing motion.

I roughly prototyped each idea to test the concept.

Part 1
Part 2

For the final deliverable, I aim to create more precise fabrics that allow for a “flowy” look. Additionally, I aim to create a more structured gear system for the top portion of the second element.