This is a final exploration of how to patch pages between a recently published architecture book and an older one. The one text comes from a book on the extractive nature of architecture and the second book is on the past one hundred years of architecture that does not mention the embodied carbon that was extracted to build them.

As you pull the thread, to patch the gap, it is not easy. If you pull to quickly on one lever the second patch falls apart. If you hold one lever while holding the other, you are able to patch up the knowledge, only to find it fall apart again. My intention was that by having the patch unravel, someone needs to consciously work towards pulling it back together. It is not just sewn and complete. It is double sided to engage with both sides of the text.

Some difficulties I faced during this prototype was by increasing different weights of paper ( hoping that it would unravel down over time), having diagonal seams, and by having multiple seams to sew the pieces would not move and get stuck. See down below for process:

It will hang in between two book shelves on the fourth floor of the library to speak to the books in that section.

PROCESS:

I tried different scans an layouts:

I tried different stitches:

I tried different number of stitches:

An example of how it would get stuck on one side

This is how it was installed at Hunt library: