My key goal in this project was to explore the relationship between different kinds of motion (vertical, horizontal, rotational, etc.). I wanted to be able to create a system that had multiple touchpoints/interactions that converted one type of motion into another. Although I was able to achieve this goal to a certain extent, Ididn’t really consider the cohenernecy of the different touchpoints together. If I had more time on this project I would focus on making the individual touchpoints relate to each other and further flesh out each interaction.

Top view

Intent: Spinning the gear on the left vertically should lead to the top leg turning to the right by utilizing the tension built up in the rubber band . Similarly, spinning the gear 2nd most from the left horizontally should pull the top leg to the left by a simple pulling motion.

Successes: I was able to create a system that allowed the user to create and harness tension within the rubber bands. I was able to cause movement in the top leg as a result of spinning on of the two left gears.

Failures: I was not able to get the top leg to “reset” to its original position after releasing the rubber band system.

Front view – top

Intent: Create a system that lifts the silk cloth up and down as a reaction to turning the pencil sharpener.

Successes: I was able to create a system using the pencil sharpener and button holes that successfully lifted and lowered the silk fabric off/on the rest of the system.

Failures: I was not able to get the silk fabric to lie down in the exact place it lifted off of.

Front view – bottom
Front view – bottom

Intent: Allow the fabric system to sway according to different movements in the gear system.

Successes: The fabric system moves in both snap and slow motions depending on the movement made in the gear system.

Intent: Allow the silk to move in parallel with the gear movement underneath it but hide the visibility of the gears.

Successes: I was able to cause movement in the silk causes by movements made in the gear system.