Spaces Of Quarantine – Final

During this quarantine we’ve been asked to stay at home – we’re all being confined to some smaller space. The goal of this project was to create a map of people spaces of quarantine – the enclosed area where we’re spending a ton of time during this crisis. To achieve this goal I’ve used photogrammetry and high resolution 3D rendering to create a tiled image of multiple spaces together.

Thanks to the participants in this project: Lumi Barron, Stacy Kellner, Sarika Bajaj, Jack Thorman, Jackie Chou, Jason Perry, and Avery Robinson.

Project & Process:

Participants used a photogrammetry app to create a model of their space. After receiving a model I moved it to a 3D environment where I could render a high resolution image from a birds eye view. All of the renderings were compiled together in a giga-pixel image (25,000 x 25,000 px) to allow viewers to see the extreme details of each scene.

Photogrammetric scan of my space of quarantine:

High resolution rendering of my space from above:

This project provides a unique perspective on these spaces where people have been spending all of their time. Additionally, the capture method has the effect of removing the inhabitant from the extremely lived in space. 

Project Precedent:

My initial interest in this project emerged from films and 2d games that use unique techniques to flatten scenes and spaces.

Reflections:

I settled on this exact version of this project within the last 7 days, which didn’t give me a lot of time to collect scans of spaces. I’d be interested to see how this project might change if I could collect more scans. Additionally I’d like to explore ways to augment the static image — possibly by adding in ambient noise sampled from peoples spaces.

In a more general reflection on the outcome of this project: I’m really interested in the capability of technologies like photogrammetry to allow us to image an entire space while inhabiting it.