Beginning Repeat Patterns – Maddie

These were the two digital repeat patterns that I made for the beginning portion of the project. I chose to go with the first prompt which was about interrupting historical patterns.

Historical pattern

This is the historical pattern that I based my components of the pattern off of. I redrew the fish and the waves with some of the splashes so that I captured the main elements, but added some of my own as well. I added a little sail boat and a person with their arms up. In the patterns my intention was to make it look like the boat is sailing towards to giant fish and the person tossed in the air and within grasp of the fish. There are many historical tales of sea monsters that attack fishermen so I thought that I would implement that into my repeat pattern.

These were my drawings before I did the image trace in Adobe Illustrator. Once I put the image into Illustrator, I made copies of some of the waves and the small circle so that I could add them to the texture of the pattern. I intended for this to be on a dark background, so some of the colors are very light and hard to see on the white art board.