- Check-in: Mending assignment
- Demo: A Few Basic Embroidery Stitches
- Slideshow: Mending Slideshow
- Optional Natural Dye Workshop (with food stuffs!) – Sat., Oct. 24
- Exit Ticket (below)
Natural Dye Workshop (optional)
We will host an optional Natural Dye Workshop using food stuffs. Please register here for the workshop (for either in-person or remote): http://bit.ly/SoftTech-NaturalDye-Registration
What to dye? For our Natural Dyeing with food stuffs, the best fibers to dye with are natural protein fibers: wool, silk, alpaca, cashmere, merino, (any animal fiber), etc. For examples: An old, second hand sweater or silk scarf; Wool yarn or scraps of wool fabric.
For those in-person: please start saving onion skins and avocado skins & pits! A variety of colorful flowers can also be used. We will need those on the day of our workshop.
For those remote: you can dye with the following food items WITHOUT needing seperate equipment because all of the ingrediants and mordants are editable:
- onion skins
- avocado skins and pits
- red cabbage
DUE FOR NEXT CLASS
The following are due by the beginning of class, Tuesday, 10/6 :
- Complete your Mending Assignment.
- Create a blog post on this WordPress site to document your Mending project.
- Categorize your post with this WordPress category: Mending
- Write a brief paragraph outlining your explorations: intended effects, surprises, discoveries, challenges, successes.
- Embed clear, quality images of your mending project in the blog post.
- Denim: https://www.closetcorepatterns.com/repairing-jeans-with-invisible-mending/
- Chiffon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djl6tQfWAcs
- Knit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8GBIfDZcQ
- Darning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUQ9b_gcoII
- Sashiko Functional Embroidery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CC6aQbHqdE