Digital Repeat Pattern

This is a small embroidery by Sarah Lipska. I chose the first textile because I appreciated the color contrast and how striking the combination of these two colors were. I also think along with the contrast, the intricacy and nonuniform direction of all the lines makes this piece even more captivating. As simple as it is it still finds a way to draw it’s audiences eyes and I found myself wanting to trace the lines or follow the many direction they go in.

This piece is called Mermaid Legend by Sorosilutu Ashoona. I chose this second textile because I liked the fantasy of it. The first image I could interpret was the mermaid, or what looks like and aquatic human. The next image I could grasp onto was the intimidating bird that connected and feels like it is terrorizing the aquatic animal. This piece was interesting because the mixing of reality and fantasy ideas. On one hand humans are real, aquatic animal are really and there are birds that eat and terrorize those aquatic animals (fish), all of that are real things, events, ways of life. But the inclusion of this semi aquatic, semi human animal is a fantasy and is inputed into real event (birds eating fish), which takes this real event and turns it into the impossible by simply changing the subject.