Categories
Gallery

Weaving Final Reflection – Lukas

Visual Portfolio, Posts & Image Gallery for WordPress

During the experimental portion of the project, when I was getting a feel for weaving and what I liked about it, I especially enjoyed the contrast that you could make with the dyed wool. This helped clarify what I wanted to do for my final piece, which would highlight contrasting color fields that each featured a different method of weaving I particularly enjoyed. I wanted to create a 3D effect with the rya knots in the first field, jumping out of the page in a mess. Then, I moved towards the flat interlocked section and eventually a window through the piece. 

I think that the contrast between the sections worked well, especially when coupled with the different methods of making a circle (rya, flat, window). I think this works well because the sections are clear cut and each have their own feeling/brightness to them. However, I think I would put more thought into the solid fields in the future and possibly try a pattern like horizontal/vertical stripes within them. Also, my “circles” didn’t exactly look like circles and I would’ve liked them to be more planned out. 

From doing this project I have a greater appreciation for clean lines/perfection in professional weavings. Even the smallest mistake, like not having a tight selvedge or skipping a warp had a permanent impact that was hard to fix after moving forward a few lines. In the future, I think I would like to explore more with different techniques and using the warps in interesting ways rather than hiding them.

FIVE DIRECTIONS

1. Different shapes, possibly hearts or stars in the middle of the fields rather than circles
  2. Swap out colors of warps to highlight the window portion/multicolor possibilities
  3. Eliminate the sections in favor of a gradient with shortening rya knots going to flat interlocking to a widening window that eventually takes up the whole loom
  4. Change colors to be less contrasting and more complementary/pleasing to the eye
  5. Alter the window portion to have a weblike structure “supporting” it, sectioning off parts of the warps like Jennifer’s piece that go towards the center window