Assignment 4 – Ankita Jha

This project was an interesting one. The object I chose was a battery pack portable charger. This object was hard because it had interesting curved but solid metal edges that are hard to sew on a smaller scale. Some things I learned from this project was the importance of learning when to sew each pieces – i.e. in what order. I found it more helpful to sew the top two pieces on before the main middle part as it made it less difficult to navigate around the fabric. I also learned that felt has the tendency to bunch/scrunch together when sewing, and that it must be pinned down thoroughly before sewing. Something I enjoyed with this project was having a model to directly look after. Having a physical object that I was replicating was interesting as I could stop and examine the object when I was sewing the pieces together. Two things I added to my doppelganger where: a mini felt pocket and a felt pocket enclosure. This were two functional pieces I thought of adding, as the pocket can be used to hold your chords and the enclosure can help keep the ports clean of dust. Something I would use again from this project is the mixing of materials; I enjoyed mixing the felt and softer cotton fabric together.