Project I – Gabe and Denise (Gabe)

1. To construct our 5 inflatables, Denise and I split up the work so that we each built 2 on our own and then worked together on the last one. I had no idea what either of my pieces would look like when I started cutting – that was hard; I like planning things out.

With my first attempt (below!) I cut individual pieces out and taped them as I went, going for something that felt like symmetry. The result was something like a hazmat mask, with a conical chin. 

For my second attempt I tried a different approach: collage. As shown below, this approach gave me more freedom to make: all of the pieces were made, I just had to put them together.

I avoided symmetry, which made sealing the seams challenging. Most of the sides didn’t match up. I was also more intentional about color on this attempt, sticking with white and blue, with black tape.

I like this piece more than my first, from which I’ve learned that it’s better to plan a visual scheme (colors, general geometry) than to try and match random cuts to a familiar image. I didn’t play much with the motion involved in inflation; neither piece changes drastically. Moving forward that is something I want to experiment more with.