Improvisational Inflatables – Jennifer Shin

Going into the project, I wanted to lean into the “improvisational” part of the assignment. 

For the first sample, I created 4 inch by 4 inch squares and then started to patch them together without any rules. Starting from one of the most basic shapes, I wanted to see how far I can push to make it a less-basic three-dimensional form. In the end, the final form was not as exciting as I hoped to be but I enjoyed the process of it at least.

In the second sample, I cut out all the handle of the plastic bags to create a fan-shaped inflatable. I liked that the handle part was already double layered and when I tried to inflate each piece, it created a unique shape. The second sample is more planned, but I also had some trouble sealing each handle into one and fully inflating the final piece. 

Visual Portfolio, Posts & Image Gallery for WordPress

The third one is another more improvisational experiment. First, I cut off all the corners of the plastic bag and then taped one edge to another. Though I really enjoy the shape I have created, box tape didn’t really seal the edges together which made the air leak and the final form not fully inflate. Also, since each piece was not a smooth plane, It was hard to not make the edges crease. However, I enjoyed this sample the most since it was a different experience to create a three dimensional form using simpler three dimensional forms.