Looking Outwards 02: Generative Art

Animal Imagination” is an artwork consisting of 50 iterations created by software artist LIA in 2018. The piece was created through an algorithmic system in which each iteration used different parameters for them to flow from one to another, evolving into a series of digital paintings. The artist used various shapes and colors to express elements from nature and animals. For instance, one piece involved a yellow and brown color scheme with overlapping circles of various transparencies, resembling the wildlife of the safari. I admire this project for how each individual iteration is unique and involves different elements, but they still transition very smoothly to each other. This provides a sense of harmony to the entire artwork, and I think that’s quite impressive. Another part of the project that I admire is how it’s very abstract with only lines, shapes, and patterns, yet it successfully captures the image of the sea, forest, and animals. From “Animal Imagination” as well as her other works, one can truly see how LIA emphasizes and works beautifully with abstract forms and fluidity.