LO3: Computational Fabrication

Daniel Widrig’s Instances (2019)

For this week’s LO, I will talk about Daniel Widrig’s Instances (2019) – pictured above.

Daniel Widrig is a London based Architect and Designer who uses Digital Outlets to create. He has his own Studio and has designed many Buildings with Architect Zaha Hadid. He has also won many awards for design.

As for Widrig’s Instances, what I like about it is how it looks. The Sculpture/Artwork gives off a very futuristic and almost alien like vibe. However, from what I have seen of Computational Fabrication, that is a common feature.

That is not to say I would not have it in my house. I would.

I guess I admire its compactness and what seems to be the fact that it can be remade quickly? But also, uniqueness in that there should only be one of it.

I have no idea of the algorithms of which the Widrig used to create this work, but my guess is one that is complex but has constraints in the x, y, and z directions.

As for Widrig’s sensibilities, the Sculpture shows off how far into the future his work is.

To end, I like the Sculpture and its practicality. I would like to know how it was made.

Links to Daniel Widrig, this specific work, and his other works (Instances is labeled 158-156).