LO 04: Sound Art

I looked at a critically-acclaimed game called Incredibox, published by So Far So Good, released in 2009. It is an interactive music experience where you drag and drop different sounds for a lineup of 8 beatboxers to produce. You mix and match the sounds and singing options to create songs. Almost all of the sound options sound good together, so it’s nearly impossible to make a song that sounds bad. It’s also a visual experience. In each theme, when you drag a sound icon onto one of the 8 beatboxers, it dresses them in a new outfit. You have 8 different themes to choose from, 4 unlocked and 4 initially locked; Alpha (basic beatboxing), Little Miss (hip-hop), Sunrise (pop), The Love (French house), Brazil (Brazilian music), Alive (Japanese/modern music), Jeevan (traditional Indian), and Dystopia (futuristic). Incredibox has seen a recent resurgence due to the Dystopia theme becoming popular on Tiktok. I find this game very impressive in that there are so many musical styles explored, as well as the musical ability needed to make sure all the sounds combine well with each other, and still there are enough options to create many unique songs. There must be many looping functions as the beatboxers keep making their sound until you pause or change the sound assigned to them.

https://www.incredibox.com/demo/

Screenshot from me playing the “The Love” theme.