LO-08: The Creative Practice of an Individual

Christina Phazero Curlee’s Presentation at the 2019 Eyeo Festival

For this Week’s LO, I am talking about Game Designer and Artist, Christina “Phazero” Curlee. She initially was a Fine Artist – doing installation and painting work before getting into Video Games and Video Game Design.
The reasons for her getting into Video Games involved the openness of expression, ability to connect with others, and the lack of need for funding (like that of art installations). She describes herself as a Video Artist as well.

A screenshot from Artifacts II

As for her work, she incorporates psychology, social justice, and self-exploration. This can be seen with her game Artifacts II that deals with the mind, trauma, and memories. I really admire how she incorporates very serious themes and topics into her work. Things that are considered to be very private and personal. But she does it to help others – which is very admirable. I also love her style which is very nonconformist when compared to Video Games in the mainstream.

Finally, I admire how everything she does is self-taught. Something like that is inspirational to me because I want to self-teach myself a lot of things – like coding and video game design. As for presentation, she is open about herself and what she created. She also focuses on how others interact with her work.
I can definitely learn more regarding both from her.

Here are the links to the EYEO Lecture, her website, her game Artifacts 2, and her about me. [Note that her website is not https protected, so be cautious of that]