Themes and Viewings
Themes: Immersivity, generativity, autonomy, transmediality, connectivity.
Immersivity. We will see different forms of immersion. One form is the feeling we can have of being-in-a-place, as with a landscape painting, Imax movie, or virtual reality. But there is also interactivity, in which a system responds in a unique, open-ended, and tightly coupled way to the actions of its participant — which is immersively engrossing.
- Scott Snibbe, Boundary Functions, 1998
- Christine Sugrue, Delicate Boundaries, 2007
- Theo Watson & Emily Gobeille, Weather Worlds (2013); Connected Worlds (2015)
- Zachary Lieberman, Más Que la Cara, 2016
- Mouna Andraos & Melissa Mongiat, 21 Balançoires, 2012
- Smart Studio, Brainball, 2007
- Jacolby Satterwhite, New York Close Up, 2013
Generativity. Meta-creation and infinite variation. Things that make things.
- Everest Pipkin, Moth Generator, 2015
- Kate Compton, Puppets, 2017
- Michael Chang, Generative Machines Chrome Experiment
- Matthias Dörfelt, Munching, 2014
- Jessica Rosenkrantz and Jesse Louis-Rosenburg (Nervous System):
Growing a Hyphae Lamp process and results; generative jigsaw puzzles; Cell Cycle custom ring; Kinematics Dress
- Christopher Hesse (via Isola et al.), Edges2Cats
Autonomy. The illusion of life.
- Karl Sims, Evolved Virtual Creatures, 1994
- Karolina Sobecka & James George, Sniff, 2011
- Bret Watanabe, San Andreas Streaming Deer Cam, 2015-16
- Jacob Tonksi, Balance from Within, 2014
- Madeline Gannon, Mimus, 2016
Transmediality. The transformation and transmutation of signals; information visualization and sonification. Revealing new truths.
- Matt Pyke, Furry & Furry’s Posse, 2009
- Arca x Jesse Kanda, Fluid Silhouettes, 2014
- Zach Lieberman et al.: IQ Font (2009); Land Lines (2016)
- Heather Dewey-Hagborg, Stranger Visions, 2011
- Helen Evans & Heiko Hansen (HeHe), Nuage Vert, 2012
- Kanta Horio, Particle, 2008
Connectivity. New modes of communication. New takes on mediatization.