Looking Outwards 09: A Focus on Women and Non-binary Practitioners in Computational Art

This week I decided to look into Caroline Sinders, a machine-learning-design researcher and artist. Her work in recent years has been focused on examining the intersections of technology’s impact in society, interface design, AI, abuse, and politics in digital/conversational spaces. She also is the founder of Convocation Design + Research where they explore and study the intersections of machine learning, user research, and designing for the public good. I wanted to focus on her project “Higher Resolutions” in 2019, a project mainly centered around the state of power and privacy online. They use interactive art installations as well as talks from professionals in the field to educate their audience members about the topic. Some art installations within the space include facial recognition, website tracking, and harmful content recommendation algorithms. Participants can also vote on a feature to ban and view the floor schematic at a closer level. I found her work interesting because I am also working on a data security and privacy research project in my design research class. I found it refreshing to see someone else’s perspective and approach to the problem space.

Higher Resolutions