Kimberlyn Cho- Looking Outwards-01

Disturb me – Brussels from PopcornMakers on Vimeo.

demonstration of how the installation works by thepopcornmakers

“Disturb Me” is an installation that strives to engage people with their environments, an often forgotten interaction amongst the prevalence of technology in today’s world. It absorbs the sounds permitted in the room to project lights that comply to the room’s “mood”. The senses are turned on once someone physically interacts with the room.

example of a light projection in the room by thepopcornmakers

Although I’m not too sure, I believe this project used a custom script for the interaction between the users and the space. I find this installation intriguing in its irony of using technology to draw users away from a focus on technology. It also shows promising signs in computational art in its attempt to engage multiple senses. Most installations I’ve come across only interact with one sense, but this room interacts with both sight and sounds. I also find the practicality of the installation very reasonable. Many art installations don’t intend for practical use, but I found it very inspirational how the designers took into account how the installation would be applied to daily use. A missed opportunity would be the possibility of incorporating smell as well to create a more accurate environment for users. However, “Disturb Me” points to a more interactive future in general and the practicality of computational art in the modern world.