CJ Walsh – Looking Outward 03 – Computational Fabrication

Nervous System is a design studio that focuses on the intersection of science, art and technology. Their primary interest is creating forms inspired by natural phenomena, and they have created some really amazing structures by generating algorithms inspired by nature. One really neat project that I found was Floraforms.

Floraform is a generative design system that they created using inspiration from the way that leaves and flowers grow. They first created a simulation that they could observe growing, and that information was used to translate into 3D forms. The studio calls it a kind of digital gardening where they are cultivating algorithms.

This is a super cool project to me. The sculptural forms really catch my attention, but it is also really interesting to see the different ways that they are exploring growth through computational models.

In addition to this specific project, the studio has a lot of really cool research happening around these topic areas, and it is exciting to see so many different forms being generated around the idea of exploring natural forms through technological advances.