Carly Sacco – Looking Outwards 08 – Creative Practice

Santiago Ortiz at the Eyeo Festival in 2014.

Santiago Ortiz is a mathematician, data scientist, and information visualization researcher and developer who is currently the head at Moebio Labs. Ortiz went to school at the  Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá,
Colombia, where he received a degree in mathematics with a concentration in chaos and complexity. Then, from 2000 – 2013, he was doing research and heading Moebio Labs which studied on a plethora of subjects – mostly focusing on creative coding, knowledge visualization, education, and innovation.  Moebio Labs uses data to solve and answer real world problems with new strategies.

Something I admire about Ortiz’s work is the inter-activeness of some of his projects. Some of their work like on the Ross Spiral Curriculum  , and History Words Flow, are a fun way to represent data that I think would intrigue people to learn and play with. I think because of this, a unique thing he does when presenting is live – playing with his interactive visuals. Not only is it the best way to present his work, but I think it adds to the important of the data being user friendly.