Kimberlyn Cho- Looking Outwards 09

A post I found most interesting while looking through my peers’ looking outwards is Lee Chu’s post for week 04. He focused on Porter Robinson and his visuals for live performances. I found the attached video of Porter’s visuals at one of his live performances to be really exceptional and breath-taking, which is why I chose to look into the process of the animations for my looking outwards. As Lee describes, Porter is a well known EDM artist who is noted for his amazing animations that are coherent to his music. I agree with Lee in that Porter’s musical style and artistic inspiration are well translated into his visuals that are portrayed in beautiful pastel, futuristic landscapes. As I looked into the process behind the animations, it was most interesting to learn that Porter receives a lot of inspiration from anime- especially the exploration of love and adventure in alternative realities by the characters. Hence, the artists behind his animations take Porter’s foundation into heavy consideration in all design choices, and actually personally involve Porter in most of the process. One of the challenges is said to have been trying not to be overwhelmed while creating a coherent piece of art. I found it amusing to hear that they actually struggled with this because it seems like they did an exceptional job at undergoing such a difficult development process.