looking outward – 10 – ilona altman

• I think it is interesting how musicality seems to be intrinsically tied to emotion. Just as we anthropomorphize visual stimuli, it seems there is a tendency to process notes in a way that reveals the interior subjectivity of that producing the noise. This makes me think about how perhaps music was our first language, and a study I saw that spoke about how the musicality of peoples voices when saying things (in anger, or speaking to babies) is similar across all languages, and that this may be one of the first ways we understand the world’s communication with us… I admire that this work was able to, in such a simple set up, touch on these concepts of musicality, emotion and projecting emption on to technology.
  • I would suppose that the algorithm used to generate this work was made by breaking down a note analysis of a singer who sag this song, and than repeating these notes by a computer, which holds them for the specified amount of time noted by the original recording.
  • The artist’s sensibility for humor definitely showed through this work with the song choice. It is also clear they have a bend toward minimalism, and it is this minimalism which strengthened the conceptual exploration of this work.
Video of the computer performance

http://www.everydaylistening.com/articles/2015/7/20/what-do-machines-sing-of.html