Lanna Lang – Looking Outwards 12

Katie Rice and Luke Cormican // Skadi Comic // 2008 – 2018

This project was a comic that has its own website and many storylines created over the years. I found out about this project after researching online for projects that were similar to my final project idea, but I could barely find any. This one stood out to me because this comic has a choose-your-own-adventure storyline, which most comic stories that are out there are not. Readers can click on the poll choices that are given below the comic page, or sometimes the readers can click on a sign in the comic itself that will help direct the story plot. I appreciate this project because of this interactive idea that not many comics do, however, for my project, I definitely want to step out of the illustration genre and more into animation or graphics.

My screen recording of me interacting with “Skadi Comic”.

Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones // Black Mirror: Bandersnatch // 2018

I believe movies, music, games, etc. are all works of art and are long-term projects made by artists, so I’m including Bandersnatch in my Looking Outwards because it is the main influence for my final project. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is a movie that transformed into a live-action interactive environment with a choose-you-own-adventure style. I am highly inspired by this movie because of how complex the work became; the storyline, character development, etc.

Although I know my final project will obviously not be able to reach this capacity, I want to strive to have this level of thought behind the process and the plot in order to create an interesting enough concept behind my own project. I will draw inspiration from “Skadi Comic” and its classic comic book style layout combined with the choose-your-own-adventure theme, and Bandersnatch’s creativity on its complex plot and its artistic direction.

Example of how Bandersnatch uses the choose-your-own-adventure style in the movie