Claire Lee – Looking Outwards – 12

For reference: my final project is an interactive game about cleaning up ocean waste.

The first project I want to discuss is an app called Motionphone that was created by interactive artist Scott Snibbe. The app allows people to collaborate on a work of interactive art over a network. I liked the way that Motionphone created a whole new way for players to communicate visually over a network. It also includes some cool UI/UX elements, such as an infinite interactive canvas and a music-playing function. Some of the aspects of this work that I’m taking inspiration from for my project is the quality and fluidity of the generated objects and the ease with which the user can manipulate the given object at their will.

Motionphone, created by Scott Snibbe.

The second project I’m taking inspiration from is called EROS/ION by designer, researcher, and educator Caitlin Morris. EROS/ION is an installed performance that explores how we perceive and interact with our environment by depicting an object’s decay through the synthesis of audible and tactile experience. I was inspired by the concepts that inspired Morris to create this piece: because my project also pertains to the ideas of decay and the environment, I drew inspiration from the thought-provoking setup of EROS/ION.