Looking Outwards 08

For this Looking outwards I selected Hyphen-Labs 2018 lecture.

They are small company that started in 2014. The company is ran internationally by a team of women of color. They like to transition in-between realities and push the envelope with design, science, and conceptual art to address problems and make aesthetically pleasing things.

One of their projects that I enjoyed was their products that they created to help protect protestors. The first product was an earring that would film police brutality and automatically upload to a cloud or a cop watch. The second product was a scarf that would cause technology to detect faces on the scarf and the thought behind this is to possibly overload a system that may be trying to detect protestors faces in the future.

Hyphen-Labs Prismatic Light Project

During their lecture, I really liked how they presented their light project because they had a close up video of the gear turning. I am not sure if it was CAD or a real video but it gave a lot of visual explanation of how the piece worked with just that one video. Also their overall cinematography of all their pieces was beautiful and made it all look so cool and professional and I think that can really make a design even better then it is.

Eyeo 2018 – Hyphen Labs

Link to their website: hyphen-labs.com