Looking Outwards 02: Generative Art

The project I admired the most about is the ” algorithmic modulations” by Manfred Mohr. It’s a projection of a rotating 12-D hypercube onto a 2-D surface with thin black lines in the center that changes upon the movement of the quadrilaterals to provide visual impact.

I was first attracted because I thought the shapes of cubes looked like the shape of a human with different movements. As I watched the animated version, I was impressed by the beauty of images created by the randoms of rotating quadrilaterals. The randomness of the quadrilaterals was impressive not only for its excitement for unknown changes of the image, but also for a pattern due to the rotation of the 12-D hypercube that there are rules in the randomness.

The work was generated by the algorithm with random transparency and random 3 colors for the quadrilaterals . The code was also created with blacks lines that extend to negative x-values with different thickness to create a visual effect of reflection of different black lines.

The creator’s artistic sensibilities were demonstrated in the randomness that created by the rotation 12-D hypercube and the dynamicness of colors and transparency of the image.

Link: Manfred Mohr, algorithmic modulations, P2610, animation example, 2019 (emohr.com)