Looking Outwards 2

The project I’m choosing is Michael Hansmeyer’s Zauberflöte(2018), which is a stage design for Mozart’s Magic Flute.  In my previous research about Hnsmeyer’s architectural design, I admire how he focused more on the process of generating design and the visual impact. And for this stage design specifically, Hansmeyer used the computer to generate countless details and constellations, which makes astonishing visual effects for the audience. The visual impact helps the audience directly sense the stage atmosphere. With the cooperation of actors, the audience will be able to gain novel spacial feelings about the show, using their own imagination to dig into the deeper core of the opera’s philosophical part.

Moving on to the algorithm that generated the work, Hansmeyer said that they “seek to create an architecture that defies classification and reductionism”. The algorithm runs continuously and forms a constant and holistic shape. The computer algorithm plays a major role in the design: with the organization of designers, the computer can bring some of the expected effects, while also bringing unexpected results with its own permutation.

here is a link: https://www.michael-hansmeyer.com/zauberfloete