Srishty’s Looking Outwards: Sound Art

Purform’s White Box, Audio Visual Performance

The project I found is a performance called, “Puform; White Box.” This performance was programmed by Jean Sébastian Rousseau, and Peter Dines. The music is done by Alain Thibault, and visuals are done by Yan Breauleaux. The performance consists of three white rectangle screens, angled together to create a wall, displaying black parametric and geometric visuals transcend, twist, break, and many other transformations. When I first watched this video, the first thing that struck me was the way the audio sounded in different ways wearing earbuds and without. When I wore my airpods, I was able to hear the movement of the sound spatially because of its spatial audio feature. This made me think not only about the computational aspects of the audio within the project, but also the technology we use to interpret it. 

The music of the performanced matched the visuals tightly, creating a surreal and daunting experience. The visual artist correlated sharp breaks with the musician’s staccato notes, and created vibrations and faster tempo, based on the speed of the visuals. The darkness of the exhibit room allowed the transforming visuals to stand out as they were contrasted amongst a white background. 

The main software technique used by programmers is called white box testing. This is a testing technique in which the software’s internal structure, design, and coding are tested to verify input outflow, improve design, usability and testing. White Box is a new software based on an old way of generating A/V compositions in real time and is a new piece in a cycle that began in with Black Box, which exhibits inputs, outputs and transfer functions. Puform uses two layers mixed with their video tapes. Using Quartz composer compositions, the programmers can easily change the relationship between the music and video, as the piece is constructed with a database of clips using Lemur.

Sources: