SydneyCha-LookingOutwards-05

Fragstein’s promotional video for LAMY Safari

Michael Fragstein is a 3d graphic artist whose main works are promotional videos for LAMY, a company that modernized the traditional fountain pen. Below is a link to his personal portfolio site.

https://fragstein.net

This 2019 special edition promotional video showcases new colors for the LAMY Safari pen in an unconventional way. Fragstein uses the three colors as a consistent theme for the video, making the colors come to life beyond the confines of the pen. Personally, the colors remind me of Easter, and if I were to make a promotional video for this line, I would’ve likely defaulted to rendering floating blobs or orbs. I particularly admire the different ideas/scenes Fragstein rendered to the music (which he also created). The two that I find the most creative are at the 15 second and 25 second marks.

Although it’s not explicitly stated, my guess is that Fragstein uses Blender, a 3D modeling program, for his work. Quite different from what we do in this class, Blender works a lot like modeling and stretching clay, just digitally. Regardless, I’m inspired by Fragstein’s dynamic and eye-catching work and hope to achieve a similar effect using p5.js (or other languages, if possible) to create captivating pieces.

CREDITS:

LAMY aion / Special Edition 2019Client: LAMY
Concept, Artdirection, Production: Büro Achter April / Michael Fragstein
Production Team: Johannes Rauch, Raphael Rau, Thomas Nathan, Jonas Anetzberger, Michael Fragstein
Music & Sound: Marc Fragstein