ShanWang-LookingOutwards-02

forms02-03-640x427

The Forms project is an interactive video installation exhibited at National Media Museums, a collaborative work by Memo Akten and Quayola. It explored the invisible relationships of “power, balance and conflict” between human’s body movement, especially the one of the athlete. The abstraction of forms and visual elements came from live footage, and without specification, I suppose that the algorithm takes in change in position, speed and sound of the athletes and generates artistic elements based on these data.
I found it particularly interesting because it transformed, or rather materialized the invisible trajectory, strength and even energy of instant movements, into highly artistic and articulated mechanical forms, something more palpable.
I think the project took an interesting approach in representation. Not only were the sound and graphic elements embodiment of vibrant movement, but the competitive and challenging athletic performance became easier and more interesting for people to appreciate and understand.

http://www.memo.tv/forms/