GraceCha- Looking Outwards-3

Andrew Thomson’s  Geodesic Pendant Lamp

screen-shot-2016-09-13-at-10-20-46-pmscreen-shot-2016-09-13-at-10-29-25-pmscreen-shot-2016-09-13-at-10-29-19-pm

Andrew Thomson’s  Geodesic Pendant Lamp really resonates with me because it reminds me of a similar design project I was involved in. We were told to make paper lamps, and the planning behind making what seems so simple is actually quite difficult because of the considerations of use of material, particular context, and I think what makes this particular piece so impressive is the use of simple shaped wood cut outs to create a complex system of shapes.      Although it was machine made, I appreciate the process and planning that went into it.  This lamps was made by a technique called CNC Machining which is short for Computer Numerical Control which basically means a machine was used to cut the wood.  Machine made objects certainly help us humans perfect craft within an product, but I think the process of planning will always be part of designing products such as these.

http://www.core77.com/posts/23340/andrew-thomsons-geodesic-pendant-lamp-20-and-more-23340