Kyle Lee Looking Outward 04

Nightingale and Canary from Andy Thomas on Vimeo.

I looked at Andy Thomas’ sound visualization and particularly admire how he was able to process a sound into a visual medium. What surprised me was how something so simple, like a bird call which we have all heard many times before, is actually quite intricate in its sound, vibrations, pitch, and volume. This visualization and additional visual information truly helped me understand the feeling of the bird call, the outdoors, and nature itself.

I do not know how exactly the auditory information was processed or what it was processed with. I couldn’t find any specific information on that, but I suppose the auditory recorded information was used to dictate drawing of different shapes. Now those shape all would have different forms, color, motion, and frequency which would also be influenced by the bird call.

Given how abstract sound is, I find Thomas’ attempt to make sound visually tangible remarkable. Not only did he effectively bring out the beauty in a bird call, but he also enhanced it in my opinion.