SooA Kim: Looking Outwards-09

I’m citing on the week 5 of Looking Outwards and the topic was on 3D Computer Graphics. As a person who follows this artist’s work on instagram, I thought Sydney Salamy’s topic on Tyson Ibele’s work would be enthusiastic.

I agree on the peer’s assessment with the psychological play of the imagery in the work. The artist approached the viewer, using realistic texture and simulations to create the animation. Nowadays, most of the 3D animation software programs provide these simulations with scripts encoded. So, it gives more flexibility and options for 3D artist to just apply their objects/polygons to soft body or cloth simulation tag. Some of these software programs, such as Maya, provide a script content window for VFX artist to write their own Python code and generate it. Every time I watch this video post, it gives me chills as if my limbs were getting cut off; pretty similar to the reaction when you see someone getting a paper cut. However, there is this weird, visual pleasure of watching his 3D generative animation post in loop.

Peer’s link: https://courses.ideate.cmu.edu/15-104/f2019/2019/09/21/sydney-salamy-looking-outwards-05/